Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility
Date: 2006-09-20 11:09:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:54:14PM +0200, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> My first question is how important is downgrade for You and Your customers?
>

> And second is how to verify that downgrade is possible?

Well, one way to do it is to set up a Slony replica using the older
version of the software. So, if you've upgraded to 8.1.x, you
replicate to an old 8.0.x back end as well. If 8.1 doesn't work for
you, you just MOVE everything back to the 8.0.x back end, and you're
golden.

Information security isn't a technological problem. It's an economics
problem.
--Bruce Schneier