Re: New version of money type

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New version of money type
Date: 2006-09-15 09:32:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 01:56:16PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Darcy,
>
> > The biggest argument about the money type is that it has an unrealistic
> > limit.
>
> Funny, I thought it was the lack of operators, conversions and any clear plan
> on how to have a money type that supports multiple currencies.

Indeed, the multiple currencies is what I thought was the real killer.
The taggedtypes module provides a way to handle the multiple currencies
part, I don't think there have been any other real contenders.

Ofcorse, if this is a faster numeric type, you could use the
taggedtypes module to turn it into a generic money type. Win win.

Have a nice day,