Re: Who admins DNS?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Who admins DNS?
Date: 2006-09-10 12:50:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 07 September 2006 15:35, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > www team,
> >
> > Based on some discussion online, the rest of us aren't clear
> > on who has DNS
> > authority other than Marc. When he's out of contact (like
> > last week) if
> > we have a DNS issue who can fix it? Dave, Magnus, Robert?
>
> Nobody.
>
> > If nobody else currently has access that's a big single point
> > of failure.
> > Can we get that set up?
>
> Yes, that is something we need to work on. Personally, I think we can do
> this in a very easy way: move the primary DNS to one of the machines
> where multiple people from the community has access. But also a machine
> that not too many has access to, of course ;-) Should be easy enough to
> do, and shouldn't have any major implications that I can see.
>
> I would also make the (bold) suggestion that either admin or tech
> contact for the domain record is transferrred to someone else, so there
> are two people who can deal with those. I would suggest Tom, Bruce or
> Dave. But in case Marc is gone a long time for some reason or other
> (that bus thingie or whatever), someone might need to tweak the
> nameservers at that config.

So, just to toss out another option, I'm pretty sure we could get a free
account from the folks at UltraDNS for the postgresql.org project. This
would give us something that is global, replicated, w/ no-downtime, anycast
capable, on a completely independent network/hardware system and accessible
by whichever community members we deem necessary.

--
Robert Treat