Re: Progress and Questions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Eric M(dot) Cherry" <cherry_eric(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Progress and Questions
Date: 2006-09-07 23:00:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I find that (as I construct the tables, columns,
> queries, and views) I want
> a refined interface for inputting data and looking
> at query outputs. I'm
> going to assume that this chomping-at-the-bit is
> common. Is there any value
> to thinking ahead from the database structure to the
> ways a client will
> interact with it?

yes, although, most of the time each facet will be
independent. iow, you won't have to redo the back end
when if you were to change the interface end.

> The manual told me that a variety of client
> interfaces already exist, but
> that it's most common for the client interface to be
> built from scratch.
> Glancing ahead at the "client interface" section, I
> saw that the interfaces
> are written in another language entirely. I
> flinched.

decision time. database development isn't trivial.
you will probably not ever stop learning new languages
or new functionality until you stop developing
applications.

like it or not, this just comes with the territory.
there is lots to learn - the sooner you get started,
the more time you have to learn this information. do
be patient with yourself and pace yourself.

if you don't want to constantly learn new things,
perhaps db application development isn't your thing.

based on your dedication and excitement working with
pgsql, i think it migh tbe your thing, you just have
to get comfortable with the process.

> This is my first foray into anything like
> programming; to date, I have been
> the most common sort of end-user. I am daunted by
> the prospect of learning
> yet another language once I'm through this one. The
> broad range of
> available languages is just the first hurdle, and
> already I don't know
> enough to make a sound decision. Is there a reason
> to pick one of those
> languages over another? I don't even know what to
> consider in making a
> choice of what to tackle.

1. do you require cross platform OS compaitibility?
2. do you want a free and open source approach?
3. do you want something relatively easy to get into,
even if not the best programmin gapproach?
4. is your application going to be web based?

all my answers were yes, and i ended up with php.

in addition to learning about pgsql, i had to learn
sql, html, css (cross browser compatibility
programming is the WORST experience to date), php,
Manuel Lemos' forms class, ADOdb db abstraction layer,
minimal javascript and the DOM (a close second in
HORROR compared to css due to shoddy and inaccurate
PHP/DOM related tutorials).

i'm sure i've missed some things. i'm no expert in
any of the above, but i knew enough at one time to
have developed everything i've developed to date. i
can always look back on my code to refresh my memory.

i'm currently learning some ruby and ruby on rails b/c
it is a more powerful programming language and rails
is a framework that can be very useful in some
circumstances. ruby can be used to create cross
platform desktop apps from an executable file.

cool stuff.

i'd recommend reading up on ruby right now. some of
the OOP stuff can be mind bending when *you* actually
have to plan out the objects, especially when the
concepts are new -as they are for me.

good luck.