Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-02 14:07:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Saturday 02 September 2006 07:14, David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:46:02PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > The complaint has been that not enough people help with reviewing
> > > patches. That would indicate that the problem is not location but
> > > scalability. If everything has to go through your private
> > > mailbox, then it's not a very obvious process to outsiders.
> >
> > Well, you can grab items from there and apply them. I will remove
> > them from the mailbox when I see the commit.
>
> This, in essence, is the problem. You're using the first person
> singular here, and it's become obvious that one person can't keep up
> with this any more. The project, thanks in part to your hard work,
> has grown past that stage.

AFAICT Bruce is not the bottleneck and our problem is not that multiple people
are reviewing the same item and duplicating effort, so I think your making
conclusions based not on the evidence but instead on a desired outcome.

No offense, a whole lot of this thread seems to be positioned that way, but
the real problem seems to be we do not have enough patch reviewers. ISTM the
questions we should be asking are who can actually help out with patch review
and then ask those people why they haven't done it. If folks like Peter,
Andrew, Magnus, Simon, Joe, and Niel all say that they are not reviewing
patches because they can't find the patches that need review, they can't
figure out who is reviewing what, or they don't think anyone is paying
attention when they do review something, then I think we have a serious
problem and we certainly need to change processes. What I think you'll find
is that they are all just busy working on other things, which in that case I
think we need to figure out how to motivate them to focus on the patch queue
rather than other items. IMHO

--
Robert Treat