Re: v08.02.0100 uploaded

From: Stijn Vanroye <s(dot)vanroye(at)easytowork(dot)nl>
To: 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: v08.02.0100 uploaded
Date: 2006-08-31 12:51:00
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have downloaded the MSI from the ftp directory mentioned above. I
> > have done as the readme file states, and that is to uninstall the
> > previous development snapshot (removed registiry entry's,
> and deleted
> > files).
> >
> > When I try to install the new version I get an error of a
> certain file
> > that cannot be found in the cabinet file. (See attached image)
> >
> > Is this something I should be looking into on my own machine, or is
> > indeed something wrong with the installer? Changes are I'm
> one of the
> > first installing this ;-)
>
> Well, I've tested it on my day-to-day XP SP2 workstation, and
> a clean Windows 2000 Pro VM that I keep for testing, and both
> were fine. If there were some weird dependency I'd expect it
> to show up on the Win2K machine.

I figured that you would have tested it, but still I find the error pretty ackward.
I forgot I have some VM's here myself I can use for testing. There it installed flawlesly. I guess it's a problem on my machine then. My guess that the previous version isn't correctly uninstalled. What I have done is removed the registry entry's referring to PostgreSQL in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI], as well as removing the installed files (dll's and such.)
If I run the installer on my day2day machine I don't the usual screens with the license agreement, and which parts I want to install, it just starts copying files immediatly. On my VM asked some questions first.
Any Idea what I missed when uninstalling the dev. Snapshot on my day2day machine?

I'm sorry I might have spooked you with this. Maybe an uninstaller is a good option for future releases?

> What's the file it's looking for? Your attachment is missing...

Oops, my bad. I guess I forgot the attachment. I've attached it to this mail.

Regards, Stijn.

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 17.9 KB