Re: database files are incompatible with server, after computer restart

From: CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database files are incompatible with server, after computer restart
Date: 2006-08-29 23:23:48
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> wrote:

> CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
> > I'm stymied. ;)
>
> So you've tried running both pg_ctl binaries against the data
> directory and both don't work?

Yes.

> I wonder how you ever had a database
> working in that case. :)

Me too! After 'initdb -D pgdata' and 'pg_ctl start -D pgdata' it ran for days during which I used
it quite a bit. But once I restarted the computer...

> Are you sure you have the right data directory?
> Maybe the one you
> think was used isn't the one that was actually used.

Yes. But I looked around and couldn't find any other data dirs.

> If you can't get either to work, you should hopefully be able to
> compile a version of the code with HAVE_64BIT_TIMESTAMP and get it to
> start up with your data.

Hmm, I installed using DarwinPorts (I think, if that uses 'port') -- I wonder if it can be
reinstalled that way and pass a HAVE_64BIT_TIMESTAMP flag to it. Besides my current problem, does
HAVE_64BIT_TIMESTAMP have much impact on things?

> But I still strongly suspect this'll be an
> easy fix once we figure it out. :)

Heh, I hope. :) I've never had a problem with PG before, and I have no idea how or why this
happened (other than it coincided with rebooting).

Thanks,
csn