Re: Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Jasbinder Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)
Date: 2006-08-28 06:05:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 01:29:11AM -0400, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Just wondering why would i need libpq here.
> Doesn't DBD::pg has its own functions for database related activities.
> I think i'm quite naive in this.

DBD::Pg uses libpq to do the talking to the database. Think of it as
the driver that interfaces DBI (the perl database interface) with
libpq.

Incidently, there is a DBD::PgPP (Pg Pure Perl) which tries to do the
same without libpq, but I've never seen it in action.

> Also, the triggers that i wrote in C are not all that elaborative. They are
> pretty basic triggers. Also, I'm a rookie in perl but don't need to do
> something hifi with it.

What are you good at then. If you understand SQL, write them in
pl/pgsql. Use what you're confortable with.

And you don't need DBI or anything like that for writing triggers,
that's what SPI is for.

Have a nice day,