Re: [HACKERS] New XML section for documentation

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New XML section for documentation
Date: 2006-08-26 17:14:33
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:48:32PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:

> > > I don't know anything about them.
> >
> > We claim SQL standard compliance, so since those are part of
> > SQL:2003, we probably ought to mention them. SQL/PSM is a
> > programming language that lives inside the database, and DB2 and
> > MySQL have it. SQL/MED lets people talk to other data stores.
> > SQL/OLB appears to be derived from equel, which we have as ecpg.
> > SQL/Schemata contains the information schema. SQL/JRT appears to
> > bear some similarity to PL/Java and PL/J.
>
> I think the big question is whether we are ever going to implement
> these? I think we need to decide that before I mention them.

The SQL/Schemata thing is already in. I think we should at least
mention which features that we already have are from what part of the
standard. As far as the rest of the standard goes, we might want to
mention whether we've even considered any of each piece in the TODO
list, and what sub-pieces, if any, are already included/scheduled/too
silly to contemplate :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter