Re: [GENERAL] Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Jasbinder Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Shared Objects (Dynamic loading)
Date: 2006-08-24 11:58:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:29:55AM -0400, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Also, when i dynamically load a shared library and then later on change the
> code, create the same shared library (same name) and run my function where
> in the shared library is loaded, it takes the reference of the old shared
> library.
> why does this happen and how to get rid of this.

The "C-Language Functions" documentation explains:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/xfunc-c.html

"After it is used for the first time, a dynamically loaded object
file is retained in memory. Future calls in the same session to
the function(s) in that file will only incur the small overhead of
a symbol table lookup. If you need to force a reload of an object
file, for example after recompiling it, use the LOAD command or
begin a fresh session."

--
Michael Fuhr