Re: share library version problems

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: share library version problems
Date: 2006-08-22 21:00:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:26:53PM -0400, Bryan White wrote:
> I am having problems with my libpq programs crashing. This seems to be
> a version incompatibility and I want to find out how to best proceed.

<snip>

> My dev server was running the same setup as the web server. The
> difference is that it acts as its own database server. I was
> uncomfortable running an older version of the server on my test system
> then on the live system. So yesterday I removed the OS supplied
> PostgreSQL RPMs and installed 8.1.4 from RPMs on the PostgreSQL download
> site.
>
> Today I discovered that programs that I compile on my dev server will
> segfault when run on the live web server.

Can you provide the output of ldd? The libraries are supposed to be
reasonably compatable.

In any case, you should try to run both servers against the same set of
libs and headers. You can have multiple copies of libpq around and
select it at compile time. The client library doesn't really have to
match the server version...

Hope this helps,