problem with single quote : '

From: Srinivas Iyyer <srini_iyyer_bio(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem with single quote : '
Date: 2006-08-22 17:44:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear group,
In one of my tables, the varchar data includes
single-quotes.

Example:
3',5'-cyclic-nucleotide phosphodiesterase

I populated tables by introducing \ in front of '

Example:
3\',5\'-cyclic-nucleotide phosphodiesterase

I am using R to query and analyze the data and it is
turning out to be a problem to get a character vector
in R to have the output like this:

EXECUTE count_fterm_sql('3\',5\'-cyclic-nucleotide
phosphodiesterase activity');

somehow it always provides me
EXECUTE count_fterm_sql('3\\',5\\'-cyclic-nucleotide
phosphodiesterase activity');

The above query with two \\ does not work in postgres.

I tried a variety of tricks in R to get to what I want
that suits postgres. No luck.

so I decided to substitute where ever I find instances
of ' (i.e: 3', 10', esterase's etc) to "prime".

Eg: 3prime, 10prime, esterasesprimes.

I have all my data in table gobe. I dont know how many
rows have ' character.

how can I substitute ' with prime in the whole table.

BTW, is this a good way to solve the problem. For
instance bioinformatics people who are dealing with GO
terms, how are they approaching this problem.

PS: Dear Sean, what is your opinion. did you ever
come across this problem. Do you have any solution in
R.

thanks