Re: Transactions and libpq

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: osxdeveloper(at)mac(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions and libpq
Date: 2006-08-21 23:28:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:11:33AM +0200, osxdeveloper(at)mac(dot)com wrote:
> I am writing an application using the libqpsql client lib.

Do you mean libpq? Are you coding in C?

> What I like to do now, is to control transaction behavior
> from within my application.
> But the following happens:
> When I try to open a transaction libpg prints
> "WARNING: there is already a transaction in progress"
> to stdout.
> The question for me is - why??

As the error says: a transaction had already been started when the
application tried to start another one. Can you post a simple but
complete program that demonstrates this behavior when you think it
shouldn't? You could also enable statement logging on the server
to see everything the application is executing.

> I searched Google and found some confusing things about serverside
> auto-commit - but this is removed at last in Postgres 8.0.

Server-side autocommit existed only in 7.3. What version of libpq
are you using, and what version of the server?

--
Michael Fuhr