Re: Restoring database question, part 2..

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: arsi(at)aranzo(dot)netg(dot)se
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring database question, part 2..
Date: 2006-08-15 21:31:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:25:38PM +0200, arsi(at)aranzo(dot)netg(dot)se wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is a follow question to my other question about moving the data
> folder (that holds all databases) as a method to restore the databases
> after my server was hacked and everything removed.
>
> After having read the manual, recieved some helpfuls responses I have
> carefully stopped the database, moved the newly installed data folder
> (under /var/lib/postgres) and copied over the old (before the hacking
> attempt) data folder.
>
> The database starts and I can select from the tables but I can't do \d
>
> ERROR: could not open relation "pg_inherits": No such file or directory
>

> From what I can read about the pg_inherits (and other pg_* tables) is that
> it is a table that contains info about the tables in my database. What I
> can't find is where these should be located.

It sounds like you didn't get all the tables. If you do a SELECT
relfilenode FROM pg_class WHERE relname='pg_inherits' on another 7.4
database (I don't have one handy), you'll see what the filename should
be so you can look for it.

If you haven't done many DDL changes since the last backup, you could
possibly restore an old copy and use that info to reconstruct
pg_inherits.