Re: setting up foreign keys

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Sue Fitt <sue(at)inf(dot)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up foreign keys
Date: 2006-08-15 16:01:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:20:45AM +0100, Sue Fitt wrote:
> Well they don't necessarily have the same value!
>
> It's a dictionary with cross-referenced words, e.g. 'bring' and
> 'brought' are both headwords in the dictionary, but 'brought' is
> cross-referenced to 'bring'. So, the table stores the information (using
> integer id's rather than words) that
> bring: bring
> brought: see bring
> sing: sing
> sang: see sing
> etc.

If that's actually how it's represented (a row for both sing and song)
it's denormalized. My rule of thumb is "normalize 'til it hurts,
denormalize 'til it works", meaning only denormalize if you need to for
performance reasons. In this case, it's certainly possible that
performance-wise you're best off denormalized, but you might want to
experiment and find out.

BTW, the normalized way to store this info would be to only put records
in that table for brought and song.