Re: Connection string

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection string
Date: 2006-08-15 13:56:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:59:23AM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> I'll submit a patch. However, in the case of string literals not
> working, is that a documentation bug or a code bug? Are they
> supposed to work?

You shoudl be able to use a string constant or a char * variable as
database name. There are a lot of test cases for connect available under
ecpg/test/connect now. If string literals do not work we have fix it and
add it to the test suite.

> > > a few other discrepancies between the documentation and actual
> > > behavior, like examples with "VARCHAR val;" that the preprocessor
> > > rejects with "ERROR: pointer to varchar are not implemented."
> >
> > Do you have an example? This surely looks like a bug.
>
> See several code examples in the last half of the "Using Host
> Variables" documentation:

Ah, I see. It lacks the size information. Yes, this is a documentation
bug. varchar is translated to a struct with an char array whose size
needs to be given. I think it never worked without it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org