Re: Multiple DB join

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple DB join
Date: 2006-08-15 13:18:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 09:01:03AM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> I can think that spreading processing requirements should be one. And
> distributing load another one. Disk space can be solved with new disks and
> tablespaces, but we can't yet distribute the load through several servers
> without partitioning.

The cost of inter-node communication isn't nothing, though. It
strikes me as at least possible that the overhead of dblink is going
to be larger than whatever gains one makes from adding a new server.
For only 20M rows, I find it pretty hard to believe the gain is going
to be demonstrable.

Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
--Jane Jacobs