Unable to connect to PostgreSQL 8 from PGAdmin III

From: "Walid Haider" <whaider(at)odline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL 8 from PGAdmin III
Date: 2006-08-10 13:10:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I have been trying to connect to PostgreSQL 8 (which is installed on an FC4
server with a public IP address) from PGAdmin III, and I am getting the
following error:

Error connecting to the server: could not connect to server: Connection
timed out (0x0000274C/10060)

Is the server running on host "XX.XXX.XXX.XXX" and accepting

TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

From a terminal on the server, on the server I can connect to the 'test'
database that I created after installation of PostgreSQL.

I have read on various sites on the internet that this issue could be
associated with the "tcpip_socket" flag being set to FALSE, this flag is not
available in the postgresql.conf file?

On the postgresql.conf file, I have done the following:

listen_addresses = '*'

port = 5432

On the pg_hba.conf file, I have done the following:

Located the line beginning with "TYPE" and added entries as
applicable

TYPE DB USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

host all all XX.XX.XXX.XXX/24 trust # remote
access

host all all XX.XX.XX.XX/24 trust # remote
access

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Walid