Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: David Lang <david(at)lang(dot)hm>
Cc: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Nunes Melo <al_nunes(at)atua(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough
Date: 2006-08-09 10:30:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

* David Lang (david(at)lang(dot)hm) wrote:
> there's a huge difference between 'works on debian' and 'supported on
> debian'. I do use debian extensivly, (along with slackware on my personal
> machines), so i am comfortable getting things to work. but 'supported'
> means that when you run into a problem you can call for help without being
> told 'sorry, switch distros, then call us back'.

Have you ever actually had that happen? I havn't and I've called
support for a number of different issues for various commercial
software. In the end it might boil down to some distribution-specific
issue that they're not willing to fix but honestly that's pretty rare.

> even many of the companies that offer support for postgres have this
> problem. the explination is always that they can't test every distro out
> there so they pick a few and support those (this is one of the reasons why

My experience has been that unless it's pretty clearly some
distro-specific issue (which doesn't happen all that often, but it's
good to be familiar with what would probably be a distro-specific issue
and what wouldn't), the support folks are willing to help debug it.

Thanks,

Stephen