Re: Restoring database from old DATA folder

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser(at)sigpipe(dot)cz>
To: RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring database from old DATA folder
Date: 2006-08-08 08:51:26
Lists: pgsql-general

# rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com / 2006-08-07 22:17:26 -0700:

> I have a DATA folder of my previous PostgreSQL 8.1 (Windows XP) installation.
> I do not have any DUMP or other backups. I want to use this folder instead
> of the newly created DATA folder after new installtion.
>
> I tried replacing the new folder with the old folder, but it did not work.
> pgAdmin also stopped working.

Was the old postgres stopped when you created the copy?
Was the new postgres stopped when you put the copy in?
Did you restore correct permissions when you put the copy in?
Is the new install the same version of postgres as the old one?
What are the error messages?

> I want to know how to recover the database from a DATA folder in case of
> worst situations if no backups are available.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-file.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/migration.html

You don't know, man. You don't KNOW.
Cause you weren't THERE. http://bash.org/?255991