Re: 8.2 features status

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-05 13:49:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 06:25:35PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I have heard you make this argument before, and it is just is not true.
> Even Debian is moving toward a more formal structure as has FreeBSD. You
> seem stuck in this world where everything is still 1994 and all FOSS
> software is developed in academia.

Debian moving towards a more formal structure? What I seeing is that
they're trying to get away from the having one person responsible for
things to working in groups. What it amounts to is simplifying the
rules to doing someone elses work. People who don't like it leave and
you hope you're left with a more efficient group.

The links you provide are mostly about handling releases. To be honest,
I think PostgreSQL's release handling is fine. But none of those
projects tackles the issue of making sure certain things get done. If
someone didn't do the work for getting GCC 4.1 working for Debian, then
no matter how much of a release goal it was, it wouldn't happen...

> That means you let people know if you
> are not going to finish something, if you need help, if you can't help,
> or if you are going to bail on a project. You should also do so with
> (hopefully) the ability for someone to pick up where you left off.

That I can agree with, but I don't think you can force it.

Have a nice day,