Re: Locale/encoding problem/question

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale/encoding problem/question
Date: 2006-08-04 09:54:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:58:22AM +0200, henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:48:17AM +0200, henka(at)cityweb(dot)co(dot)za wrote:
> > Two big questions:
> >
> > 1. What encoding are the two database (\l will tell you)?
> > 2. What encoding are the clients expecting?

> I've even tried using LATIN1 (ie, explicitly setting it to latin1 using
> initdb, and then restoring the database after changing the 'utf-8' strings
> in the dump data to 'latin1'). This still yields the funny chars.

Wait, so the dump is in utf-8? You shouldn't need to edit the dump,
postgresql will convert the encodings on the fly while loading.

> To be honest, I have no idea what the origional encoding was.

It should be in the dump file, almost the first line. Locale is of no
interest to pg_dump, you'll have to decide how you want it.

> Can you suggest any other approaches I can try to restore the database so
> that those chars display correctly?

Well, at the very least, does it go away if you type:

set client_encoding=latin1;

Please provide more details about your setup too, your client is on
windows? The server is ...?

Have a nice day,