Re: directory tree query with big planner variation

From: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
To: Axel Rau <Axel(dot)Rau(at)Chaos1(dot)DE>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: directory tree query with big planner variation
Date: 2006-07-31 17:08:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 05:54:41PM +0200, Axel Rau wrote:
>The file table is the biggest one, because it contains one row per
>backup job and file (see my column description).

I never saw a column description--that would certainly help. :) I saw a
schema, but not an explanation of what the elements do. From what I can
understand of what you're saying, it is sounding as though the
bacula.file table contains an entry for the subdirectory itself as well
as entries for each file in the subdirectory? And the reason you need to
join back to the filename table is that there may be multiple copies of
the filename from multiple backups? Does the subdirectory itself have an
entry in the filename table? What is the content of the lstat column; can
it be used to distinguish a file from a directory? Similarly for the md5
column--what would it contain for a directory?

Mike Stone