Re: About "ALTER USER" command

From: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mónica Ivonne Herrera Alonso <miherrera(at)ucatolica(dot)edu(dot)co>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About "ALTER USER" command
Date: 2006-07-27 12:47:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mónica Ivonne Herrera Alonso wrote:

Mónica,

> I need to change password of the usuary POSTGRES using the commando "ALTER
> USER". This change I must do it by means of a program .bat in “quiet” way.

> I have the following instruction in .bat program :

> psql -S "ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'xxtyod';"

> But when I execute this program, it requests user password to me.

Sure. It's asking for the password of the user who will connect to the
database and issue the SQL command. There are several ways to avoid
this; the simplest is to create an appropiate .pgpass file (pgpass.conf
in Windows). The exact location is something like %APPDATA%/postgresql,
but better look it up in the documentation.

--
Alvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is