Re: Time zone definitions to config files

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time zone definitions to config files
Date: 2006-07-26 08:17:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 10:37:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> > I'll take a whack at that patch this evening PDT or tomorrow evening
> > at the latest. We're too late in the cycle to go over this, but maybe
> > we can figure out a way to have this data read from the same data
> > source as the pg_timezones VIEW does at compile time. Keeping two
> > such table in synch seems error-prone.

> Well, the problem is exactly that there is no "same data source"
> anymore: the local DBA can customize the timezone list all he wants.

> We could document what the out-of-the-box settings are, but is it
> really useful to duplicate that info in the SGML docs? We don't
> for example provide a copy of psql \df+ output in the SGML docs,
> and I'm wondering if this isn't kind of the same animal.

I'd vote for not including it. The current table is way out of sync already.
I first chose the timezones for the "Default"-set based on this table in the
docs but then I noticed that the table does not really reflect the timezones
in the source code. With the view it's now almost trivial to keep both
synced but it still is a source of errors. Furthermore since nobody has
complained about the incorrect table so far, I don't think many people care.
And those who do can easily consult the view or the file of the Default set
directly.

Joachim