Re: Time zone definitions to config files

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: joe(at)mcknight(dot)de, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time zone definitions to config files
Date: 2006-07-25 23:20:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 11:59:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joachim Wieland" <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> > Here's the patch that generalizes the australian_timezones hack by
> > moving the compiled-in time zone definitions into a text file. The
> > text file to use is chosen via a guc.
>
> Applied with some revisions --- mostly, that I didn't like
> restricting timezone_abbreviations to be changed only via
> postgresql.conf. The old australian_timezones setting was always
> USERSET, and I think people would have had a legitimate gripe about
> loss of flexibility if its replacement wasn't. Fortunately this
> wasn't too hard to change. I also editorialized a bit on the file
> placement and the parsing code.
>
> The documentation is still in need of help ... in particular, Table
> B-4 (timezone names) is now out of sync with reality. I am not sure
> whether to try to fix it, or just remove it and tell people to look
> at the pg_timezonenames view. Thoughts? If you want to fix it,
> please send a patch.

I'll take a whack at that patch this evening PDT or tomorrow evening
at the latest. We're too late in the cycle to go over this, but maybe
we can figure out a way to have this data read from the same data
source as the pg_timezones VIEW does at compile time. Keeping two
such table in synch seems error-prone.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter