Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date: 2006-07-25 15:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I was planning to add a new GUC
> > archive_timeout (integer) = max # secs between log file switches
>
> That's fine, but feature freeze is in a week and we don't even have the
> basic function for manually doing a log file switch. Let's get that
> done first and then think about automatic switches.
>
> Also, forcing another 16M of WAL out every few seconds is a pretty crude
> and inefficient way of making sure your hot standby server is up to
> date. As Hannu noted, an archiving script can do better than that if it
> can access the current WAL file name and offset. So we really want to
> get the function to return that info done as well.

Agreed. One concern I have is that we have waited for Simon to complete
this for 1.5 years, and now with a week left he is still working on it
(or starting on it). I am wondering if someone else needs to take this
on, because if Simon doesn't complete it in a week, we don't have it for
8.2, and we would then have to sit through another year of PITR
complaints. :-(

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us