Re: Is there a gui front end for this wonderful db program

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: frazelle09(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a gui front end for this wonderful db program
Date: 2006-07-25 01:25:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

> And i guess i´m not looking for a driver per se, but a frontend which
> would give us the funcionality of Access.

I understand a what you are looking for a little bit better. That being the case, I think I
should dispel a notion that I think you have regarding postgresql. In access, you can create two
tables. You can also create a select query that will join both tables. The following things can
be achieved in the same way with postgresql as well.

However the similarities slightly diverge with your next requirement. In postgresql, you can not
insert a record in to a query view (where the linked tables in the select statement are cascaded
related insert statements) as ms-access allows you to do.

This functionality can be achieved by creating a view (i.e. a query stored on the server) and then
by adding insert, update, and deleted rules to that view; all changes to the views records will
be directed to the appropriate tables that the view as created from.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/tutorial-views.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/rules-update.html

Using this functionality, you could bind a form (i.e. like ms-access/odbc or OOO) to this newly
created view to get the same functionality you would get from an ms-access select query.

of course, an alternative to creating a view with rules is to use one of the many client interface
APIs. With these, you could simulate the same functionality using code. This solution requires a
steeper learning curve however.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.