initdb problem on Windows - SOLVED

From: Tino Schwarze <pgsql-bugs(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb problem on Windows - SOLVED
Date: 2006-07-24 09:56:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi there,

this message is for information only - it took me some time to figure
out what was going on.

I tried installing PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on Windows 2003 Server. I did not
let the installer create the DB space, but wanted to use initdb instead
to tune locale settings.

As I run "initdb ... d:\PostgreSQL\", I always got an error:
creating directory d:\PostgreSQL\data ... could not create directory
"d:\PostgresSQL\": File exists

After checking permissions etc., searching the web and the archives and
a lot of fiddling, I figured out that in fact the "postgres" user
account did not have read permission for d:\ (I created d:\PostgresSQL
and gave permissions but of course, this didn't help, because read
permissions for d:\ were missing).

This might be related to the a thread "Problem Installing on Windows 2000
Server" from December 2005.

HTH,

Tino.