Re: url for TODO item, is it right?

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, mike(at)fuhr(dot)org, systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: url for TODO item, is it right?
Date: 2006-07-18 22:31:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:

> > > Possibly the message renumbering that Tom griped about:
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2006-07/msg00061.php
> >
> > Yeah. I think the TODO item is intended to point to what is now
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-02/msg00163.php
> > or one of the earlier messages in that thread.
> >
> > Perhaps when Bruce realizes he needs to recheck every link in the
> > TODO files, he'll get on the warpath with me ;-)
>
> (Sorry, just catching up on this issue.)
>
> Yes, I can fix the TODO item URLs, but many email messages reference
> URLs themselves:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-06/msg00096.php
>
> The URL in the email actually works, but I am sure others do not.
> Because we don't have control over the email contents (think Google), I
> don't think we can renumber old email items without a continual stream
> of complaints from users.

I always wonder why we don't add a unique id to each email message
itself. I mean let the mail list program to add sequencial number to
each email's subject. For example, emails pgsql-jp ML (PostgreSQL general
discussion in Japanese managed by JPUG) have subject headers like
this:

[pgsql-jp: 34814] pgpool 2.5 released

By using this method our TODO list can referer emais "logical" id
(34814 in this case) which is independent on archive URL.
Archive URL is something like a "phisical" id and maybe changed
accidentaly and is not convenitent for this kind of usage IMO.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan