Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on

From: Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query very slow when enable_seqscan=on
Date: 2006-07-04 08:37:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> > -> Seq Scan on organization (cost=0.00..480.95 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=0.071..69.702 rows=1892 loops=1)
> > Filter: ((organization_location)::text ~* 'warszawa'::text)
>
> How many rows are there in the organization table?

About 9000. And about 6500 persons. "Warszawa" is a biggest city in
Poland and a capital - many organizations are located there.

> This is probably the fault of the pattern-selectivity heuristic:
> it's far too optimistic about long match strings eliminating a lot
> of rows. I think there's been some discussion of modifying that
> logic but no one's really stepped up with a better idea.

I think because there is no good solution to this - no statistical
information is going to predict how much data will match a regular
expression. Maybe in this situation an algorithm should be
pessimistic - that it will return all rows, or all non-null rows or
all rows no shorter than matching string (if it's a string and not
for example regex like [abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz] which is long but
will match basicaly everything). In my opinion it is better to
overestimate most of the time than to risk underestimation by a
factor of 1000 and more.

For now I'm turning off seqscans. This is a second time I got
terrible permormance with seqscans turned on because of bad
estimation. And my database will probably fit in cache.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you