Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Psql_General <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys
Date: 2006-06-29 15:07:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 03:54:36PM +0200, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> I have to concur with this. Assume you use a bytea for a UUID that in
> turn is used as a primary key. The extra overhead will be reflected in
> all indexes, all foreign keys, etc. In a normalized database some tables
> may consist of UUID columns only.

So you create a UUID type. It's cheap enough to create new types after
all, that's one of postgresql's strengths. What I'm saying is that it's
easier to create new fixed length types for the cases that need it,
than it is to redo the entire type handling of the backend.

And for people that want char(1), they should be using "char", which
really is one byte (ex padding ofcourse).

Have a nice day,