Re: RAID + PostgreSQL?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "MG" <pgsql-general(at)carladata(dot)de>
Subject: Re: RAID + PostgreSQL?
Date: 2006-06-26 14:51:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 26 June 2006 00:36, MG wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are using PostgreSQL 8.0.3 together with RAID on OpenServer 6.

I'm sorry.

> When we do a big SELECT-query the whole maschine becomes very very very
> slowly or stands. The maschine has 3 GB RAM, so we suppose it`s the RAID.

Or your database structure, a badly written query, lack of statistics, too
many dead rows, lack of vacuuming, bad postgresql.conf settings, or using an
aggregate without a where clause over millions of rows.

> Has anyone some experience with RAID + PostgreSQL?

Lots... What type of raid? How many drives?

> Where does PostgreSQL saves his temporary files? Perhaps these are the
> reason for the bad performance.

I would suggest looking at the above half a dozen possibilities as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake