Re: "UNICODE" error during restoration

From: Thusitha Kodikara <kthusi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "UNICODE" error during restoration
Date: 2006-06-21 10:57:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

We did some more testing and managed to get the dump restored on 7.4.10. Then took a backup and tried to restore on to 7.4.13, but if failed again giving the same errors.

In addition to this we took a dump of an existing DB on 7.4.13 and tried to restore it onto 7.4.13 itself. This also failed.

Could it be that our data contain some invalid characters (even though we never came across any problem before installing the patch 7.4.13) ? In all these instances our encoding was UNICODE.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Thanks.
-Thusitha

TK <kthusi(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: Hi,

We took a dump of a database running PostgreSQL 7.3.10 (on Gentoo Linux).

We tried to restore it onto a server running PostgreSQL 7.4.13 (on Gentoo Linux). This resulted in the following errors:

psql:<stdin>:13856: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0x85
psql:<stdin>:537916: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xa0
psql:<stdin>:1009873: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0x92
etc.

We tried to restore the same dump on a server running PostgreSQL 7.3.9 (on Gentoo Linux) and the restoration was successful.
It also worked without any problem on a server running PostgreSQL 7.4.5 (on Gentoo Linux).

All the databases in this scenario were of UNICODE encoding type.

What could be the reson for this, and how can we avoid this?

Thanks in advance,

-Thusitha