Re: SAN performance mystery

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SAN performance mystery
Date: 2006-06-19 12:41:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Tim Allen (tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au) wrote:
> The conclusion I'm drawing here is that this SAN does not perform at all
> well, and is not a good database platform. It's sounding from replies
> from other people that this might be a general property of SAN's, or at
> least the ones that are not stratospherically priced.

I'd have to agree with you about the specific SAN/setup you're working
with there. I certainly disagree that it's a general property of SAN's
though. We've got a DS4300 with FC controllers and drives, hosts are
generally dual-controller load-balanced and it works quite decently.

Indeed, the EMC SANs are generally the high-priced ones too, so not
really sure what to tell you about the poor performance you're seeing
out of it. Your IT folks and/or your EMC rep. should be able to resolve
that, really...

Enjoy,

Stephen