BUG #2481: select from table's join with geometries doesn't go

From: "Emilia Venturato" <venturato(at)faunalia(dot)it>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2481: select from table's join with geometries doesn't go
Date: 2006-06-15 07:34:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2481
Logged by: Emilia Venturato
Email address: venturato(at)faunalia(dot)it
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system: Debian etch
Details:

--I have data about animals in a table:

\d small_carnivore_fisso;
Tabella "public.small_carnivore_fisso"
Colonna | Tipo | Modificatori
-------------------+-------------------+--------------
id | integer |
family | character varying |
genus | character varying |
species | character varying |
common_name | character varying |
riscrit | character varying |
red_list_cat_desc | character varying |
ecoregion_code | character varying |

-- I have geographical data about animal in the table:
\d wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom
Tabella "public.wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom"
Colonna | Tipo | Modificatori
----------+-----------------------+--------------
eco_code | character varying(50) |
eco_name | character varying(99) |
the_geom | geometry |

-- a join without geometry goes well:
select a.*, b.eco_code from small_carnivore_species a join
wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom b on a.ecoregion_code=b.eco_code;

-- a join with geometry doesn't:

select a.*, b.the_geom from small_carnivore_fisso a join
wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom b on a.ecoregion_code=b.eco_code;
Segmentation fault

-- the geometries are valid
select isvalid(the_geom) from wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom where
isvalid(the_geom) is false;
isvalid
---------
(0 righe)

-- if I use 'create table as...' instead only select, the table is done:
create table foo as select a.*, b.the_geom from small_carnivore_fisso a join
wwf_terr_ecos_multigeom b on a.ecoregion_code=b.eco_code;
SELECT

If I reduce the record number the select sometime goes, sometime doesn't. I
cannot define a record limit wich make the difference.
Postgis developper said it could be a postgresql bug.