Re: scaling up postgres

From: Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)laterooms(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: scaling up postgres
Date: 2006-06-13 19:38:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:28:49 -0500
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com> wrote:

> Search the performance archives for the last 4 or 5 months for PPC /
> pseries machines.
>
> You'll find a very long thread about the disappointing performance the
> tester got with a rather expensive P Series machine. And his happy
> ending of testing on an Opteron machine.

Amen, brother :)

We hoped throwing a silly pSeries 650 would solve all our problems. Boy
were we wrong... a world of pain...

Don't go there - just buy an Opteron system - if you're talking about
IBM big iron, a decent Opteron will cost you about as much as a couple
of compilers and an on-site visit from IBM...

Cheers,
Gavin.