Re: postgresql and process titles

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Kris Kennaway <kris(at)obsecurity(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, scrappy(at)FreeBSD(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql and process titles
Date: 2006-06-11 21:34:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The only way that I'm aware of for disabling this is at compile time ...
after running configure, you want to modify:

src/include/pg_config.h

and undef HAVE_SETPROCTITLE ...

I'm CC'ng -hackers about this though, since I think you are the first to
point to setproctitle() as being a serious performance bottleneck ...

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Why does postgresql change its process title so frequently and how can
> this be disabled? Profiling suggests it's a fairly serious
> performance bottleneck.
>
> Kris

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664