Latest timezone data in 8.1.4

From: Paul Lindner <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Latest timezone data in 8.1.4
Date: 2006-06-10 12:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

At work, our production 8.1.x systems were having problems with
timezones. A new code push had newer 2006 time zones that Postgres
didn't recognize.

To fix this I built a custom RPM that overwrites the timezone data
with the latest data from nih.gov.

I changed the postgres-8.1.4-1PDG.spec file as follows:

* Add the following line to the end of the Source file section:

Source99: ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2006g.tar.gz

* Add the following commands to the end of the %prep section

cd src/timezone/data
tar xzvf %{SOURCE99}

Some questions...

* Is this the correct way to do this?
* Can updating the timezone data be a part of the release checklist?
* Finally, is it possible to upgrade a running server with new timezone
data?

--
Paul Lindner ||||| | | | | | | | | |
lindner(at)inuus(dot)com