Re: iowait

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: iowait
Date: 2006-06-10 00:02:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Friday 09 June 2006 16:44, Tom Allison <tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net> wrote:
> I am running it under 'BEGIN' so in theory autocommit is off, which seems
> to be the case since there aren't any rows to query.

The COPY would run as a single transaction, anyway.

> The whole thing is writing to a partition on a relatively simple EIDE
> disk.

And that's why it's slow.

> My iowait is 95-95% according to iostat and it's all pointed at this one
> disk partition. And it's taking a REALLY long time.
>
> Question:
> Is this normal for a large data load like this?

Yep.

> Is there something "obvious" I could do in the future to better the
> situation? Or am I simply bound by the type of hardware I'm running it
> on?

Drop indexes before the COPY and recreate them after. Other than that, not
much.

> Are the number of default values and primary key index going to be the
> death of me?

Default values aren't really a factor. The index slows down COPY some. The
reason it's slow is your hard drive, though.

--
When we vote for taxes, we are voting to steal from our neighbors