Re: Data about rate of downloads

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ilir Gashi <I(dot)Gashi(at)city(dot)ac(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data about rate of downloads
Date: 2006-06-07 10:24:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:05:30PM -0300, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
> I dont know the answer to your question, but I think that you forgot
> something....most linux distributions have postgresql included.....so,
> (I dont know the number) some people that use it, didnt download from
> postgresql site or mirrors...

Indeed. If you look at something like popcon for Debian [1], it'll tell
you that out of 13211 submissions, 1442 say they are using
postgresql-common. Back of the envelope calculation tells you that
about 10% of Debian machines are using it, but then you're stuck with
estimating how many Debian machines there are.

On top of that there are lot of different versions, you have to
determine what the number means.

I myself have never downloaded a tarball from the mirrors. I've only
ever used CVS and Debian distributed versions...

[1] http://popcon.debian.org/

Have a nice day,