Re: [HACKERS] Schema Limitations ?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Chris Broussard <cbroussard(at)liquiddatainc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Schema Limitations ?
Date: 2006-05-30 18:04:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Moving to -general, where this belongs.

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 11:13:58PM -0500, Chris Broussard wrote:
> Hello Hackers,
>
> I have the following questions, after reading this FAQ (http://
> www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item4.4) are there statistics
> around the max number of schemas in a database, max number of tables
> In a schema, and max number of tables in a database (number that
> spans schemas) ? Are the only limitations based on disk & ram/swap ?

One hard limit you'll run into is OIDs, which max at either 2^31 or 2^32
(I can't remember offhand which it is). That would be number of schemas,
and number of total tables (there's a unique index on pg_class.oid).
Actually, you'll be limited to 2 or 4 billion tables, indexes, and
views.

In reality, I suspect you'll become very unhappy with performance well
before those numbers. Running a database with just 10000 tables can be a
bit tricky, though it's certainly doable.