Re: anoncvs still slow

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: anoncvs still slow
Date: 2006-05-29 18:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 03:00:44PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >Run something like:
> >mailq | grep "Recipient address rejected"
>
> I thought that the above was supposed to be a perm error, not temp? Does
> anyone know what I need to set in postfix on svr1 to change it to a perm?

Do you have soft bounce turned on? A mailbox unavailable message
should be a 550 error. Or is the problem that the relay gets back
the rejection, and then queues a message to the originating mailer
(which was, of course, a drone, and therefore won't be available)?
The latter case will _also_ eat up a ton of resources.
Unfortunately, there's no standards-compliant way to drop such
connections on the floor instead of erroring, once you've accepted
the mail.

Better to reject at the time of connection, which is what the
local_recipient_maps setting is for.

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland