Re: UTF-8 context of BYTEA datatype??

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Rafal Pietrak <rafal(at)zorro(dot)isa-geek(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 context of BYTEA datatype??
Date: 2006-05-29 12:01:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:35:58PM +0200, Rafal Pietrak wrote:
> The table is originally initialized with a set of IDs. Then I'm using
> perl-script to insert apropriate images by means of UPDATEing rows:
> --------------within my script called 'job'-------------------
> my $db = DBI->connect('DBI:Pg:dbname=mydb') or die "DBI";
> my $z = $db->prepare("UPDATE pics set img=? where id=?") or die
> "PREPARE";
> my $rc = $z->execute($content, $FILEID) or die "EXEC";
> ---------------------
>
> But the result is somewhat unexpected:
> ---------------console output----------------------
> DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding
> "UTF8": 0x89
> EXEC at ./job line 22, <> chunk 1.
>
> How come the bytearea is *interpreted* as having encoding?

Actually, it's not the bytea type that is being interpreted, it's the
string you're sending to the server that is. Before you send bytea data
in a query string, you have to bytea encode it first. The DBD::Pg
manpage seems to suggest something like:

$rv = $sth->bind_param($param_num, $bind_value,
{ pg_type => DBD::Pg::PG_BYTEA });

Hope this helps,