Re: timezones to own config file

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timezones to own config file
Date: 2006-05-26 13:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:13:42PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The zic database doesn't seem to have a problem with using the same
> abbreviations to mean many different things. We could look to it for
> information, or maybe even use its classification of timezone groups,
> but I don't think it can solve the problem for us.
>
> I think you may be thinking of yet a separate TODO item, which is to
> be able to use the zic timezone names in timestamptz input, viz
> '2006-05-24 21:11 Americas/New_York'::timestamptz
> But names like 'IST' or 'CDT' are not zic timezone names, they just
> represent specific offsets from UTC.

Well, the zic database does contain information about the
abbreviations, so we would be able to build a list of them. I think the
right solution is probably fix the above first (allow full zic
timezones in timestamps) and then setup the CST/CEST/etc as a list of
aliases users can customise...

Have a nice day,