Re: file-locking and postmaster.pid

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: file-locking and postmaster.pid
Date: 2006-05-24 19:33:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 20:52, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 5/24/06, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no> wrote:
> > > My PG is not started with startup-scripts, but with this command:
> > >
> > > pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -l $PGDIR/log/logfile-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.log start
> >
> > ... and manually after login, ie. not at boot-time.
>
> I'd suggest trying to fix your Linux-install instead of mucking
> about with Postgres, and this really a pgsql-novice question,
> not a -hackers thing.

I'm sorry, can't resist, but this has to be *the* dumbest reply to these sort
of questions. What makes you think it *only* happens when linux freezes(btw,
I suspect my NVIDIA-driver to be the problem on my laptop, not Linux itself).
Still - PG *should* handle that situation too, it's like a power outage. I've
been using Linux exclusively since '96 and PG since 6.5, so I don't consider
myself a novice in neither. Why PG doesn't use locking *is* definitely
a -hackers thing.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
Senior Software Developer / Manager