Re: Porting MSSQL to PGSQL (Was: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, mischa(at)ca(dot)sophos(dot)com
Subject: Re: Porting MSSQL to PGSQL (Was: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?)
Date: 2006-05-21 21:58:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Mischa,

> Somebody earlier was mentioning, why no automatic transformer from
> Transact-SQL to PLPGSQL (maybe with a bunch of glue routines). The grammar
> is not a problem, though you have to wonder at all the wired-in keywords
> (T-SQL always felt like COBOL).

Actually, porting TSQL to PL/pgSQL would be very hard. I speak as an expert
TSQL developer. For example, most data manipulation in TSQL is done through
updatable cursors, something we don't currently support. Also, T-SQL uses
un-ordered, callable parameters for SPs, something which we *also* don't
support.

> Other issues: stored procs returning multiple result sets; "print"
> statements; SELECT TOP n PERCENT; COMPUTE-expressions (subtotals); and some
> of the @@global variables that are hard to emulate @@IDENTITY being the
> main problem in older T-SQL code.

Yeah, but @@IDENTITY sucks. Most MSSQL developers are glad to leave it
behind. ;-)