Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>, Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-18 18:14:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 02:56:12PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >I understand the idea but I personally don't like it. I am not really
> >interested in cross-database compatible code. 9 times out of 10 it is
> >hacky, slow and lacks a solid supportable model because you are always
> >taking into account *the other* databases the application supports.
>
> I don't disagree about the 'hacky, slow and lacks ...' ... but,
> there are alot of MySQL based apps out there that are just *way too
> big* to convert wholesale to PostgreSQL that, in all honesty, are
> better suited to PostgreSQL ...

They're not too big when critical data is in there. Then it's a
matter of what cost to make this wrong decision and have to fix it.

> To give someone a running chance at migrating it to PostgreSQL, a
> 'MySQL compatibility module' would allow them to just plug the
> existing DB in, and then work at improving sections of the code over
> time ...

You cannot cross a chasm in two steps. MySQL apps don't generally
lend themselves to incremental improvements because they are so
tightly tied to MySQL's misbehaviors. It would be silly and dangerous
to give people the misapprehension that this transition can be made
painlessly or at low cost.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter