Re: Assistance with optimizing query - same SQL, different category_id = Seq Scan

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assistance with optimizing query - same SQL, different category_id = Seq Scan
Date: 2006-05-11 22:08:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:29:32PM -0600, Brendan Duddridge wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions on how I can optimize the query so both
> versions of the query come back fast without doing a sequential scan
> on the price table?

Well, before you do anything you should verify that an index scan in the
second case would actually be faster. Set enable_seqscan=off and check
that.

After that, you can favor an index scan by (in order of effectiveness)
increasing the correlation on the appropriate index (by clustering on
it), lowering random_page_cost, or increasing effective_cache_size.