Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, "Pgsql-Performance ((E-mail))" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Date: 2006-05-10 00:59:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Vivek Khera wrote:
> >
> > On May 9, 2006, at 11:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry that is an extremely misleading statement. SATA RAID is
> >> perfectly acceptable if you have a hardware raid controller with a
> >> battery backup controller.
> >>
> >> And dollar for dollar, SCSI will NOT be faster nor have the hard drive
> >> capacity that you will get with SATA.
> >
> > Does this hold true still under heavy concurrent-write loads? I'm
> > preparing yet another big DB server and if SATA is a better option, I'm
> > all (elephant) ears.
>
> I didn't say better :). If you can afford, SCSI is the way to go.
> However SATA with a good controller (I am fond of the LSI 150 series)
> can provide some great performance.

Basically, you can get away with cheaper hardware, but it usually
doesn't have the reliability/performance of more expensive options.

You want an in-depth comparison of how a server disk drive is internally
better than a desktop drive:

http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us